Dementia Friendly Communities
Byron Shire Respite Service is proud to be working with
Dementia Australia to enhance our Dementia-Friendly Community
Byron Shire Respite Service is a community-based organisation caring for the people of the Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore shires. Our Vision Statement is to provide quality respite support for clients and their carers in the Northern Rivers, and therefore enhance their quality of life - however, we cannot always reach people with dementia or their carers that worry about partaking in community life or accessing mainstream services due to the real or percieved stigma of living with dementia. Dementia-friendly communities are inclusive and support people with dementia and their carers to live a high quality of life with meaning, purpose and value that we all expect.
Dementia is the term used to describe the symptoms of a large group of more than 100 illnesses which cause a progressive decline in a person’s mental functioning. According to Dementia Australia, 425,416 Australians live with dementia and an estimated 299,842 Australians are involved in their care.
View this 4 minute clip from Dementia Australia to learn about Dementia (will open in a new window): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z15-0xZTng4
Dementia is still widely thought of as being an ‘older person’s disease’ and many people are not be aware that approximately 30,000 Australians live with younger onset dementia (under the age of 64), some in our very own community.
View this 5 minute clip from Dementia Australia to learn more about younger onset dementia and the NDIS (will open in a new window): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKNIciH0Etg
Younger people and many from diverse communities may have real concerns about approaching services or the wider community due to real or perceived stigma. People with dementia deserve to enjoy the same services and human rights as all other Australians, with full inclusion in their community. Becoming dementia-friendly means YOU can help your community to support people living with dementia to live a high quality of life with meaning, purpose and value.
People that may not access the community or its support services include those:
- Living with younger onset dementia
- Identifing as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Intersex (LGBTI)
- Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islanders
- Culturally and Linguistically Diverse peoples
- People living with neurological disorders such as Parkinson’s Disease, Multiple Sclerosis, HIV-associated dementia, Motor Neurone disease and Traumatic Brain Injury, to name a few.
As specialists in the field of dementia, Byron Shire Respite Service is well-placed to help educate businesses and individuals in our community to be Dementia-Friendly and make people’s lives a whole lot easier. It is our dream that people caring for someone with dementia at home and their loved-ones will partake in community life and access available services for much needed support.
What people in the Northern Rivers can do today:
- Learn more about dementia and what causes the disease. Visit the Dementia Australia website for lots of informative and easy-to-read fact sheets.
- Become a 'Dementia Friend'. Visit Dementia Australia to sign up and order your 'dementia friendly kit' by clicking on the image below:
- Aim to enhance people’s social inclusion. Support people to venture out and enjoy community activities.
- Assist people if you see them experiencing difficulties when out in the community.
- Provide support for people living with the disabilities of dementia to continue with paid or volunteer work.
- Champion businesses, community groups and individuals that are dementia-friendly.
- Read the Dementia Friendly Communities booklet from Dementia Australia. Click on the image below to open and download the 17 page pdf.
Download a copy of Dementia Australia's Dementia-friendly Communities brochure here: https://www.dementiafriendly.org.au/sites/default/files/resources/DFC_Brochure.pdf
Be sure to revisit this page for dementia-friendly activities occuring in our region over the next few months.
Are you living with dementia?
The Dementia Australia toolkit for
businesses who want to become dementia friendly
It can be inexpensive for businesses and organisations to become dementia friendly.
Click onto the image below to download a pdf of the 23 page Dementia Friendly Toolkit for Australian Businesses.
The Dementia Australia toolkit for local governments who want to become dementia friendly
This toolkit provides information, resources and guidance for building on existing infrastructure, systems and services in order to make communities more inclusive. The content reflects the lessons learned from dementia-friendly initiatives across Australia and draws on international experience.
Click onto the image below to download a pdf of the 48 page Dementia Friendly Toolkit for Australian Local Governments.
Your Story Matters is a resource for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities. Click onto the image below to download:
LGBTI and Dementia is a recent 2018 document by Dementia Australia. Click onto the image below to download the 24 page pdf:
Click onto the image below to read a recent article in The Echo: